What is GEAR UP?
GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded college access & readiness program administered by Utah State University who partners with local high schools to help low-income students be successful in school.
GEAR UP at Utah State University is a part of the larger Statewide GEAR UP Education Program, which operates in several regions throughout the state of Utah, and is part of the nationwide GEAR UP initiative.
Check out the GEAR UP fact sheet to see how this program is helping students nationwide.
GEAR UP Objectives
Our goal is to equip GEAR UP students and their families with the knowledge, skills, and the desire to aspire higher. GEAR UP’s four objectives are to:
- Increase academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education
- Increase high school graduation and college enrollment rate
- Help students find scholarships, financial aid, and other college payment options
- Increase success in the first year of higher education
Gear up focuses on preparing students for post-secondary programs by providing:
- Tutoring and homework assistance
- Test preparation and study skills
- Academic advising
- Career exploration
- College tours
- Financial aid and scholarship information
- College application and help
- Activities and events